Wednesday, May 7, 2014

6 Simple Tips to Packing Light for a Week-long Beach Trip (Or Anywhere, really!)

I kind of left a cliff-hanger in my last post when I said I am going on a vacation... Here's another one: it will be in two different places in the Bicol Region, south of Manila -- One where I can go swim with Whalesharks and the other where the famous Survivor US series shot. Excited? I am! Will keep you posted on where I'll be in the posts to come but first...

We all have this pre-trip dilemma: How we're going to fit all our essentials in 7kgs if we're flying domestic and into one bag if we're going by land. I've always made it a point to pack light because I don't like shelling out extra bucks for check in luggage (I'm cheap like that) plus, I just can't deal with having multiple bags that I have to fuss over and run the risk of losing one (I witnessed it happen). Here are a few of my packing tips that have worked wonders for me so far:


1. 'YA GOTTA KNOW WHERE 'YA GONNA GO AND WHAT 'YA GON DO

Okay. I think I kind of went over with that one. ANYWAY, it's pretty much standard to always take into consideration where you're going and what your set of activities are. The last thing you'd want to do is to be on the beach in a leather jacket or go trekking in flip flops. 
A not-so-simple itinerary for a week-long beach trip
You don't have to do this. I'm just OC like that.
It also helps you out in the next one:

 2.  PLAN YOUR OUTFIT SETS IN ADVANCE

It sounds a bit too OC but it's the only way to go. Assign no more than 2 sets per day, one for when you go swimming in the morning and one for when you go out or sleep in. Try to limit bringing pairs of shoes too. They're just too heavy to lug around. You're probably not going to use them cause, hey, you'll be spending more time on the beach (I hope). See one of the outfits I packed here.

3. ROLL IT, NOT FOLD IT

Rolling your clothes makes it easier to fit more of them inside your bag because it makes your clothes more compact versus folding, which takes more surface area. More surface area = less less clothes. 
What I usually do is to tuck loose ends until it reaches the middle (like sleeves on shirts or laces on boardshorts), I fold it lengthwise then you start rolling:
Step by step guide to rolling your clothes for light packing
Rollie, Pollie, Ollie

 The only downside: wrinkles. But hey, you can roll your shirts with tissue if you're picky.

4.BIGGER ISN'T NECESSARILY BETTER... IN TOILETRIES, THAT IS.

Take mini versions of your toiletries to save space. If you can't get your toiletries in sachets, you can invest in those small travel bottles to make them easier to carry around. Put them all in a resealable bag to prevent leaks. You don't want wet, sticky clothes!

Sachet versions of my toiletries
My toothbrush looks like a giant next to those!
Word to the wise if you don't want to be hassled in the airport: don't bring liquids that are more than 100ml per container and don't bring anything in aerosol cans!

5. STASH GADGETS IN RESEALABLE BAGS

Speaking of resealable bags, you better make sure your gadgets get some loving too! Water alone is bad enough for your electronics, salt water is more corrosive. Resealable bags protect your gadgets from the elements and makes it convenient for you to take them with you.

Instax Mini 90 NEO Classic and Instax Mini Films
Loving my instax!

6. BRING AN EXTRA FOLDABLE CANVASS BAG FOR YOUR STINKIES

If you're not used to packing light, there will be a good chance that you'd still overpack. If you only have one bag, it's smart to take an extra canvass bag where you can keep your dirty clothes in so they won't mix with your fresh ones. You will have wet clothes too so be sure to bring a plastic bag that's big enough to keep a towel in. MIND YOUR TRASH THOUGH. Don't go throwing your plastic bag around! Save it for your next trip... and the next, and the next... you get the point!
Foldable canvass bag
Told you, I love White!



Did I miss anything? Got your own Light-Packing tips? Let me know on the comment box below! :) 


Hope this helps! 
post signature

No comments:

Post a Comment